Fairtrade Fortnight 2012
Thatcham is preparing to celebrate Fairtrade Fortnight for the second consecutive year but in 2012 it will be as a Fairtrade Town, fully accredited by the Fairtrade Foundation! This award was gained in November, 2011 after more than a year of hard work by local schools, businesses, community groups and residents all working together with the Fairtrade Town Campaign Steering Group to spread the Fairtrade message.
There are activities at different venues during the Fortnight and there should be something to appeal to all age groups. Here is the Steering Group's schedule of activities:-
- Sunday, 26th February - 11 a.m.
- Launch Service in Thatcham Methodist Church, Chapel St. Fairtrade activities for children! Fairtrade refreshments! All welcome!
- Monday, 27th February - 2.15 p.m.
- Fairtrade Storytime suitable for pre-school children in Thatcham Library
- A Fairtrade Information Stand and free samples of gorgeous Fairtrade soap!
- Monday, 27th February - 8 p.m. for 8.30 p.m.
- Quiz at the White Hart Pub, High Street, £1 Quiz Entry Fee per person. Free food!
- There will be general knowledge rounds and also a round dedicated to Fairtrade questions! Fairtrade wine sponsored by Waitrose to be won for this special round!
- Saturday, 3rd March - 10 a.m.
- The Big Brew - Free cups of Fairtrade tea and coffee in the Methodist Church Hall
- Fairtrade activities for children, Traidcraft goods on sale, a cake competition, quizzes and more!
- Saturday, 10th March - 11 a.m.
- Fairtrade Fun at the Nature Discovery Centre, Muddy Lane - 11 a.m.
- Children's Fairtrade activities, facepainting, a huge variety of Fairtrade goods to buy from around the world and the Malteser Challenge! Maltesers go Fairtrade in 2012!
"Fairtrade is the only certification scheme whose purpose is to tackle poverty and empower producers in developing countries. Fairtrade delivers unique benefits to producers, businesses and consumers ©" www.fairtrade.org.uk
Photographs by Norman Jones.